Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Fears

My parents are selling their home and moving. This is a huge hurdle for them and for our family. We grew up in SLC, UT and now there will be no traveling there. I hope to return to ski but without a place to stay... Colorado might be calling.

I am concerned about my father. At age 86, legally blind and getting a bit of dementia, I fear this move for him. I am concerned that he will get scared and leave his new place and not know where he is. As nutty as it sounds, a definite concern. Will this type of move kill my father? Will be become a hermit because it will all be so new? Will he lose all his independence?

I do have the world best daddy. He has always been my knight in shining armor. Always there to love me unconditionally. He is the one person in my life that means more to me that anything. he gave me everything I have. He gave me strength, knowledge, faith, courage and determination. He gave me love above all other things. My dad has been my hero since I was a little little girl. I can not image a life without him. Every time I see my Dad, I see him age. But in my heart he is still the tall image of strength and courage. Dad never met anyone that did not like him. I had friends that liked my Dad more than me. Literally! He would go to the grocery store and have a doughnut and coffee and talk to my friends that worked there. Well, they were classmates. Dad moving is scary. Will he continue to get the care he needs for his health? Will my sister be able to check in with them and really take care of them? I know that at his age Dad has seen a lot in life and is not afraid of being old. This change though...will it be too much?

I can only pray that my Dad is strong and that God has a plan for his life. I need to let go and allow God to finish His plan. Even when it goes against my plan. Since a child, I said my dad would live forever. May God allow that to happen! Laugh!

2 comments:

  1. Grandpa is my knight in shining armor too! I want so much for my children to have at least met him and see what an amazing man he is! He puts a huge smile on my face everytime I think of him. All my friends loved him when we would visit.. "You know there's more than just one type of cookie.. Don't be shy," he would say everytime. I hope that he is strong enough for this move! God has a plan for everyone so I guess only time will tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is wonderful to know that we think of him in the same way. If we pray he is strong enough...maybe good prayers will lead to a strong Grandpa!

    ReplyDelete